Monday, December 5, 2011

New Ideas, New Photos

I've been struggling with deciding when enough is enough. Basically, I have decided I want to make each of these paintings individualized in the way in which the texture lays on the surface. My first piece was basically almost completely covered with the textural bits, and after stepping away from it for a while, I do think it works (I was having second thoughts for awhile, but I think I may have just been staring at it for too long). Here is a photograph to give you a better idea of what I am talking about:



I enjoy the color and luminosity of this piece, along with the uplifting effect it has. My second piece I have been working on I've given a few shots of already but here is a more recent photo to keep you posted on how it has developed.



I think I like the direction this is going with adding pieces that are larger is sort of working, but part of me still feels a disconnect. Colin gave me the idea to try a new technique of just adding the liquin original onto to the canvas and see how that results. The effect is kind of intriguing but on one of the studies I tried it on, it bled on the canvas. I'm going to try and do it again on a study but this time have the canvas lay flat and see if that stops the bleeding.
I also have been experimenting with direction of the textured pieces. The next piece that I'm working on is green, and I've decided to try and have a cascading effect by having the textured pieces fall in the same direction in the dark parts and then spontaneous in the luminous area's. I've drawn it out on paper and it looks pretty interesting, I just have to execute it.

No comments:

Post a Comment